Lets' compare and contrast. Herbert Hoover with Barack Obama. First, I researched their legislation. That was pretty depressing, (get it? depression?) because there's not much of a difference. One thing I kind of think is in Hoover's favor is his dam. Although, I think people died building it, and it probably wreaked havoc on the environment. But hey, he got something accomplished! Along with plunging us into The Great Depression. Actually I think Obama might do this too. (a depression, not a dam) Neither of these people were effective leaders. And neither was their legislation.Let's explore some of their achievements, starting with Hoover.
- Mexican Repatriation Act - Over 500,000 Mexicans and Mexican-Americans relocated to Mexico. I don't want to get into how wrong this was. Apparently it didn't work to well.
- Smoot-Hawley Tariff - Raised tariffs on imported goods. Which in turn other countries raised tariffs on our goods. Making the economy worse.
- R.F.C. or Reconstruction Finance Corporation. Let's see, where have I heard this before? 2 billion given to all kinds of greedy banks and businesses, of course it didn't work. Later it was found out that there were a lot of politicians giving money to all their business friends.
- Financial Home Loan Bank Act - This one did help some people who might have been foreclosed on. But it just wasn't enough. Sound familiar?
- Revenue Act Of 1932 - This raised revenue on the 1%. By a whopping 63%. Good move!
- American Recovery And Reinvestment Act - Have you recovered? I sure haven't.
- Tax relief, Unemployment Insurance, Reauthorization And Job Creation Act - Really?
- Patient Protection Affordable Care Act - I can't afford healthcare.
- Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform Act - Yeah, what great reform. So much has changed.
- Matthew Shepherd-James Byrd Hate Crimes Law- Good idea, at least he did that.
- Don't Ask Don't Tell Repeal Act - Another good idea. Now he has two of 'em.
- Public Private Investment Program - This was Geithners big idea. That's right, one of the architect's of the Great Recession! How could it fail? Well, because banks won't take less for their toxic assets, so, say goodbye to another amazingly, unhelpful, piece of crap.
- Car Allowance Rebate - "Cash For Clunkers" I think this probably helped some people, but mostly the automobile industry.
- Home Owners Rebate - Boy what a miracle! Housing is booming!
- Budget Control Act Of 2011 - A super committee is born! And, is completely ineffectual!