Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Guns and Guitars

It wasn't lost on me,the irony, that Stephen Paddock, the Las Vegas shooter bought his guns at a place called "Guns & Guitars."
 While he was busy shooting, American icon, musician, Tom Petty, was leaving this world.
These guys were both in the same age bracket and that is all they had in common.
One man was creative and wrote the soundtrack for our day to day American lives.
Tom Petty, struggled with addiction and beat it. He had a violent upbringing and rose above it, bringing joy and comfort in bad times to people around the world. He will be missed.
On the other hand, it seems that the Las Vegas murderer, Mr. Paddock, was addicted to gambling, made millions and God only knows what his upbringing was like; his father was a diagnosed psychopath and bank robber.
I can't imagine what it would be like to grow up with that kind of burden. I am sure at that time there was no thought of the lasting psychological damage that caused.
According to his family, he was "just a guy" I find it hard to believe there wasn't one red flag that smelled "off" to someone. I can't find an answer to how someone, who was supposedly a "normal guy," could stockpile 42 weapons, thousands of rounds of ammo and explosives. You just don't buy that in a day or a week, it takes planning and time, money wasn't a problem, I guess.
He was described as a "Lone Wolf" yeah, ok. I haven't ever heard of a wolf who killed that many people and injured over 500 more. So let's stop with this weird romanticized "Lone Wolf" label. There are too many of these white male's to keep calling them a "Lone Wolf."
Why do so many white guys do this? Why do some men pick up a guitar and another a gun?
How is it that one person can buy that many weapons?
This country is awash in guns and that will not change.
It is a proxy war by corporate powers and the NRA to keep American citizens in a frightened and helpless state.
What do we do, when we hear of another shooting, another blood bath? We shake our heads and just go on. Weapons of war are used on the American people daily, if not by the police, then it's our armed neighbors and so it goes...
Lots of thoughts and prayers and then there will be some lame attempt at gun control, but nothing will happen that will stop corporate donations rolling in and the carnage to continue.
In 2017, there have been, 35,403  deaths and injuries due to gun violence. (not including the recent massacre) Let me add another stat to that, there were 60,000 drug overdoses in 2016.
Seriously, between the guns and the drugs, what is going on in this country that is causing this amount of human misery? That's close to 100,000 people and the stats aren't all in for 2017.
If there was a raging epidemic of some virus killing 100,000 people something would be done about it.
How is it that people in 2017 don't have the tools to deal with the stress and despair in their lives?
It's like we have chosen mass murder and suicide instead of trying to solve these problems in any meaningful way.
I don't know the answers to these problems, the artist in me wants to shut down all the gun shops and give free guitars to anyone who wants a gun. Pick up a guitar, not a gun.
I know, for myself, at my bleakest times it was music that saved me. It was art that kept me going.
I taught my kids to play the guitar and paint and sing.
When I was in a band, a long time ago, Tom Petty was on our set list.
That's me, in the band
Despite the heartbreak in this country, there is still beauty, and music.
Unfortunately along with all the people who lost their lives at a concert  in Las Vegas, we lost Tom Petty too.
RIP to all the lives lost.
This was one of Tom Petty's songs we played back in the day, it's probably pretty appropriate.






3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Patricia! Good posting as far as thoughts. I dont know the answers, where would I even start, being a person that owned several guns myself and still shoot on the range? I do know that with the culture deeply embedded in this country, that it will not be easy to rid us of guns (I would think that USA probably has more guns than any other country, like 200- 300 million I think?), even if they ban the stock, folks will buy on black market, make their own, etc, etc ... that is the culture in this country ... I seen it first hand with folks that have large amounts of hardware/ guns. Guitars though are a great thought, and you are correct, the guitar and music can be very therapeutic and soothing to the person, I have a keyboards system to help me relax, and a buddy with a home studio, with many nice guitars to mess around on. "Guns & Guitars"? ... the only place/ store I recall seeing both guns and guitars in, is a pawn shop. I know this shooter also bought many guns here in Mesquite(TX), Dallas suburb, he owns apartment buildings there I think ... but a recent local news interview with a gun dealer here in Dallas, who actually turned down some of the last guns that he tried to buy here, the guy was wondering why he was buying so much ... so I guess he got the rest in Nevada.

    Hey! ... like the picture seeing you in action on stage! although a little fuzzy ... but that's cool ... get to have fun while working, benefit of music performance! I do like your profile photo though ... I like the eye wear, gives you that touch of sophistication ... nice pic. Tom Petty ... I was surprised ... you know, back several months ago, I was talking with a buddy, he's also a guitarist ... and told him I need to see Tom Petty on one of his runs through Dallas, because I never got to see him ... I have alwayz liked Tom Petty too! Have a good one Patricia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is amazing information, Ranch. You don't hear in the media up here than anyone might have turned Paddock away, I guess he had plenty of other places to go. People in my family own guns too, I am not suggesting people get rid of them. I just think that these assault weapons are out of control. I know people think they need to be a well armed militia or whatever. so when the government comes to take our guns, yeah right! I'd like to see that if Uncle Sam comes. Going up against tanks and what-not they've armed the cops with. The whole thing is just sad and I can't imagine what the families of the people who were killed or injured are dealing with. That pic of me os a polaroid had to scan. Lol Way too long ago. Such a shame about Petty. I never got to see him either.

    ReplyDelete