Sunday, September 9, 2012

The Lesser Of Two Evils

Man I miss him.
"This is what we have to offer. It's what our system produces: Garbage in, garbage out. If you have selfish, ignorant citizens, you're going to get selfish, ignorant leaders. Term limits ain't going to do any good; you're just going to end up with a brand new bunch of selfish, ignorant Americans. So, maybe, maybe, maybe, it's not the politicians who suck. Maybe something else sucks around here... like, the public. Yeah, the public sucks."
God, I miss George Carlin. I would love to know what he would say about this election. I am afraid I have come to the same conclusion as George. The American public sucks. I have been talking to a lot of people, many of them Republicans, a lot of them had trouble articulating why they even were Republicans, I am not going to give Democrats a free ride here, it's just that where I live, Democrats are out numbered in the land of Christie.
He's a perfect example of what American culture is viewed as, especially by the rest of the world, in "Murica" we seem to think we are the only ones who populate it. But I digress.
I see a lot of bumper stickers, one merely said Mitt. It was on a Mercedes. One said freedom, on a Volkswagen. Pick-up trucks had the most Romney stickers. I talked to the cashier at the grocery store. She says she's a registered  Republican. I ask her how she likes her candidate. The look she gave me was as if she tasted a bad Tuna sandwich. She flat out said it was the abortion/birth control issue.
What I really noticed is how many men are Republicans. Lot's of business owners. The owner of the company I work for is one. My best friends husband is a business owner and a Republican. He hates President Obama. I do get in some debates with him and I try to respect his opinion, it gets rough talking to Republicans because of the vast influence of Foxtitutes, and their garbage. I basically am having a hard time not giving up hope on Americans. No Republican I talked to had any opinion whatsoever on global warming. I don't think they have the foresight to acknowledge that we are destroying this planet. When the earth finally gives up on us, we have no where to go, that's not even on their horizon. . Basically if you are a man I can see how being a Republican is definitely in your favor. I think the extreme right Teavangelical hijacking of the Republican party has alienated women. I know that's not earthshaking, but it was good to talk to some women that were not voting for them. They aren't voting at all. Which brings me to the next point, none of the people I talked to from the 20-40 age group are voting. They are sick of the process not working, they know it's broken. President Obama is sighted as a big disappointment. They are disillusioned, they have given up on this two party system of no choice we have now. They know who's in charge, the corporations.
When President Obama, did not appoint Elizabeth Warren to the Federal Consumer Protection Bureau, that's when I knew for sure that Wall Street was in charge. The DOJ not prosecuting Goldman-Sachs, but they will prosecute Roger Clemons for perjury and John Edwards, who cares?
But a financial meltdown that has affected every single person I know? That's just not important. When there is evidence that every single politician is out for whatever money, career, perks, they can get and it is obvious to me. Some people don't know or plain don't care.
President Obama may have had the best of intentions when he was elected, but he fell woefully short, He is an intelligent man, I have to believe knows exactly what he is doing. Maybe I didn't get every promise he made under my christmas tree tied up in a pretty blue bow, boo hoo. That's not what it is about to me. I expect the candidate I vote for to follow through. That did not happen. I have no illusion that Romney is better, he's not. But this notion of voting for the lesser of two evils just sucks.  George Carlin summed it up best, I think:
"I have solved this political dilemma in a very direct way: I don't vote. On Election Day, I stay home. I firmly believe that if you vote, you have no right to complain. Now, some people like to twist that around. They say, 'If you don't vote, you have no right to complain,' but where's the logic in that? If you vote, and you elect dishonest, incompetent politicians, and they get into office and screw everything up, you are responsible for what they have done. You voted them in. You caused the problem. You have no right to complain. I, on the other hand, who did not vote -- who did not even leave the house on Election Day -- am in no way responsible for that these politicians have done and have every right to complain about the mess that you created."
As an aside, but still related, the most popular post on my blog this week was written back in June "Why Your Vote Doesn't Matter". That tells me a lot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment